Thursday, 24 March 2011

Channel 4..yeah really!

Ok so my last post was a little unfair with not telling you the news, but now I can tell you!
I got a message on Facebook from a girl at Cactus TV (the people in charge of Saturday Kitchen etc) asking me to e-mail her about making a cake for Fern Brittons new talk show on Channel 4. Its replacing the slot that Paul O' Grady had and is on live at 5-6pm. Long story short I somehow made the shortlist without even applying and I'm now going live on TV 31st March! Its a lighthearted baking competition between 6 bakers, two the first week (my week) two the next,  two after that, and then the final. We have to make a William and Kate themed cake, and I'm currently sat here amongst a few handmade models of the royal family!

Tuesday we filmed at my house for a short VT for the show.....it was mega embarrassing and SO hard! I take my hat off to those newsreaders and presenters. My Mum, Brother and friend Phillippa agreed to do my testimonials for me....but I bet they didn't realize they would have to stand on the street with hats and flags....when I heard that I thought it was hilarious and actually felt sorry for them, that was until I found out what they had in store for ME!
   The producers wanted to portray it was a fun competition so they decided to show us as if we were warming up for abit of a battle....apparently the other lady I'm up against got off lightly and had to do a sort of Charlies Angels action with a rolling pin, muggins here got handed some wooden spoons and I was told to do a 'ninja action'. Luckily the director showed me how it was done first even with 'wayaahhhh' sound effects, I kind of stood there and said 'do I really need to do that noise?' It was all good fun, but I didn't half feel like a tool, I'm DREADING watching that video...really dreading it.

Just to break up a little bit of this text I'll let you see a VERY sneaky peek of a model in progress...this hasn't been posted anywhere else!

This is Prince Charles in progress being supported by a few sponges!


So this Sunday I start the baking for the cake...can't say what the design is but you wont have long to wait!
I am currently doing a castle cake which should be finished by tonight, and starting another cake (which I cant mention just incase she reads this as its supposed to be a surprise!) But hopefully all will be done in time and all ready to go, the only major thing I have to tackle is my TOOTHACHE, im not bothered about the pain for just an hour on the show...but I'm hoping its not an abscess that blows my face up like a balloon. Last time I had an abscess my brother couldn't stop laughing everytime he looked at me because I looked like a 'who' from 'Whoville'. As it was a front tooth it made the front of my face puff out, and all my cheek so very much looked like this:


                      Yeah it's safe to say I looked even WORSE than that! (that is not me by the way! ha)


I need everyone to cross their fingers, toes and eyes to make sure I don't have a face like that on a live TV show. I'm already cacking it without having a melon mouth to deal with.

Theres been a slight rumour that the people on Fern's show that day are Jullian Fellows and Michael Ball which isn't bad...at least it isn't Katie Price! Michael Ball comes across very friendly, chatty and bubbly so looking forward to that, obviously aslong as the dreaded abscess doesn't strike otherwise he'd surround himself by bodyguards and shout 'get that leper away!'  (I just loved the fact I spelt Leper wrong and it came up with the suggestion...Lemur instead) ha ha 'get that Lemur away!'

So that's my bit of exciting news, I'm heading down to London next Thursday so if you want to see a swollen leper with bad ass wooden spoon ninja skills you'll have to tune in to Channel 4 at 5pm :) and get the popcorn ready!

Ok onto some more cakes I've completed since I was last on, Ive done a single tiered boudoir cake with lace and shoe design:



A rather simple but very cute little MUM cake:



And the cake that sent everybody crazy, including my phone and inbox! The Waybuloo cake :




That 3 tier of brightly coloured detailed-ness was for a little stunner called Avaeya (pronounced Av-ay-a) She was turning one and was mad on Waybuloo, her mum told me to do a three tier with as much detail on it as possible, so I came up with this design. She loved the cake, which made me really happy, and its very apparent others liked it too judging by my inbox and phone calls! It went to a kids play centre for the party and even the staff there who have seen hundreds of cakes said it was one of the best they had ever seen! I'd like to thank a member of staff there who actually took the time to visit my T-Cakes page on Facebook to write a review to tell me so! The boss of the place also got in touch to order her own and said she would happily pass my details on to clients inquiring about places to buy cakes.
Thanks guys!

Lots of friends of Avaeya's mum also got in touch via Facebook and I've been requested for some pretty cool cakes which I cant wait to get my teeth into (well not literally - if I eat all the cakes I make I'd be about 30 stone!). I've always wanted to do a cake with Zombies on and my saviour came in the shape of an Xbox cake with 'Black Ops theme' I asked what his favourite map was to maybe apply that to it and the reply was 'the zombie level'  how COOL..can't wait to start that! I've also been asked for my very first scooby do cake, I came up with a few designs and the customer chose my haunted castle design which is also a huge bonus as I've always wanted to have a go at a boys version of the castles I do AND to do a scooby cake!

Theres lots of other cake designs I'd like to try so if anyone wants a corpse bride/nightmare before Xmas wedding cake, or a zombie filled wedding cake, you know where to come! ha ha get your orders in now :)
Right better go, got a pretty pink castle to finish


'WAYAHHHHHH!'






















No comments:

Post a Comment